Last Updated: July 3, 2019
Quick Guide to Contents
INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We collect information from you in various ways, including through information you provide to us directly, information we or other third parties automatically collect, and information we receive from third parties. This includes data that identifies you personally whether directly (e.g., your name) or indirectly (e.g., information about your online use).
Information You Provide
We collect information you directly provide to us through our Sites, in our stores and through your other interactions with us. This may include when you use our Sites, register or create an online account with or through the Sites, purchase products or services, request information from us, sign up for newsletters or our email list, use our service, enter into sweepstakes or other promotions, fill out a survey, request customer support, or otherwise communicate with or contact us.
The information we collect from you generally falls into the following categories:
- Contact Details: We collect your contact information, such as name, postal address, email address, telephone or mobile number, fax number, or other similar identifiers.
- Financial Data: If you make a purchase from us, we collect a credit/debit card number and related financial information (such as CVV, expiration date, and billing address), depending on the form of payment you choose.
- Transaction Data: We may collect details about your purchases or other transactions with us, including, but not limited to, your transaction or purchase history, transaction channel, or the general location of the store you visit.
- Account Information: You may choose to register for an account to make a purchase or use certain services. We collect information from you regarding your account registration, such as an email and password.
- Marketing and Communications Data: We collect data concerning your preferences in receiving marketing, other targeted information from us, and your contact preferences.
- Other Data about You: We may collect other information about you based on your interactions with us or that you choose to provide to us. For example, if you submit a product review you have the option to provide photographs or other information about yourself. You also have the option of providing your gender when signing up for our email list.
Information We Automatically Collect
When you visit or interact with our Sites, we may use a variety of technologies such as cookies, web beacons, pixel tags, log files, or other technologies to automatically or passively collect certain information about your online activity. Please note that we automatically collect the following information about you:
- Computer or Device Information. We may automatically collect your Internet Protocol (IP) address or other unique identifier or information from the computer, mobile device, tablet or other device you use to access the Sites, including but not limited to your operating system, browser type and language, and information about the location of your device.
- Usage Information. We may collect information about your usage of and activity on our Sites, including the date and time you visit the Sites, the areas or pages of the Sites that you visit, the amount of time you spend viewing or using the Site, the number of times you return to the Site, items that are added to or remain in your virtual cart on the Site, other click-stream or site usage data, emails that you open, forward or click-through to our Site, and other sites that you may visit.
For information about your advertising choices and how to opt-out of location information collection, please see the “Your Information Choices and Opt-Outs” section below.
Information Collected by Third Parties
Information Collected From Other Sources
We may obtain information from other sources as follows:
- From other trusted third-party sources to update or supplement the information that you provide or that we collect automatically. This includes, for example, information from public databases or data aggregators (which may include your demographic information, previous purchases, shopping habits, lifestyle preferences, or other information to validate or supplement the information we collect from or about you)
- From our partners and service providers (including, for example, business partners, analytics vendors, advertising networks and search information providers).
We may use this information to help us maintain the accuracy of the information we collect, personalize your experience on the Sites, target our communications so that we can inform you of products, services or other offers that may be of interest to you, to measure ad quality and responses, and for internal business analysis or other business purposes.
Combination of Information
We may combine the information we collect from and about you, including information you provide to us and information we automatically collect through our Sites, as well as information collected offline, across other computers or devices that you may use, and from third party sources.
Use of Information by Columbia
Your provision of your personal information to Columbia means that you agree and consent that we may collect, use and disclose your personal information in accordance with this Policy or as otherwise permitted by law.
We use information we collect for purposes described in this Policy or as disclosed to you in other ways including on our Sites, in our stores, or in connection with our services. For example, we may use your information to:
- provide and deliver products and services;
- send you information related to products and services, including confirmations, invoices, technical notices, updates, security alerts, and support and administrative messages;
- communicate with you about new contests, promotions and rewards, upcoming events, and other news about products and services offered by Columbia and our selected partners;
- operate and improve our Sites, services and products;
- process and deliver contest entries and rewards;
- manage and administer our community features and member programs and services;
- respond to your comments and questions and provide customer service;
- provide you with customized content, targeted offers, and advertising on the Site, via email, direct mail or across other websites, mobile applications, social media or online services you may use;
- link or combine with other personal information we get from third parties, to help understand your needs and provide you with better service;
- use your data in an anonymous, aggregated, or de-identified format for analytical, marketing, and demographic purposes; and
- provide you with other services or for other purposes as disclosed at the time you provide your information or otherwise with your consent.
How We Use Your Information for Interest-Based Advertising
We and others may use information collected using third-party cookies, clear gifs, web beacons, or other technologies on our Sites and in our emails to deliver Columbia-branded advertising displayed to you on the Sites, on other third-party websites, mobile apps, social media, or other online services and across the computers or devices you use. We and others also may use cookie information to know when you return to our website after visiting these third-party websites. We and others use this and other information about you to try to understand your interests and show you relevant advertising about products and services that may interest you.
We also may display interest-based ads through digital advertising partners, like Facebook, Google, or other social media platforms or websites. For example, we may use these digital advertising partners to personalize ads you see on other websites or apps based on your shopping experience with us. We do this only by sharing hashed information (which converts your email or phone number to a unique string of numbers and letters) that the social media platform then matches against its own data for the limited purpose of serving advertisements (either directly to you or to other lookalike audiences). The matched and unmatched hashes are then deleted, and are not used for any other purpose.
We also may use information we collect to deliver advertising that is targeted to individuals with similar interests. These tools allow us to create groups based on actual or assumed shared interests and/or factual characteristics based on anonymous and/or de-identified information to help us figure out what advertising may be most relevant. We also do this without having to share personal information with these third-party partners.
For more information about this practice and your choices with respect to interest-based ads, see the “Your Information Choices and Opt-Outs” section below.
SHARING OF INFORMATION
Certain sections of our Sites are designed as open and public community areas for connecting and sharing with other people. When you sign up for or participate in these areas you will be asked to provide certain information that may be displayed publicly along with photos, stories, posts, product reviews and other information you choose to provide. We may also post or publish your information when you submit comments, stories, photos, and videos in connection with surveys, contests, sweepstakes, or promotions offered on the Sites.
We share your personal information with third parties as follows:
- with your consent, including if we notify you on the Sites that the information you provide will be shared in a particular manner and you provide such information or when you agree to our sharing of your information with other third parties for their own marketing purposes subject to their separate privacy policies;
- with third party vendors, consultants and other service providers who are working on our behalf and need access to your information to carry out their work for us, including fulfilling orders or assisting us in advertising our products and services on third party websites;
- if you choose to enter into one of our sweepstakes, contests, or other promotions (a “Promotion”) we may disclose your information to third parties or the public in connection with the administration of such Promotion, as required by law, as otherwise permitted by the Promotion’s official rules, or otherwise in accordance with the terms of this Policy;
- in connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of company assets, financing or acquisition of all or a portion of our business to another company.
STORAGE AND SECURITY OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We store your personal information only for so long as is needed to meet the purposes set out in this Policy, including for the purpose of enabling us to meet any legal requirements.
Columbia takes reasonable measures to protect your personal information in an effort to prevent loss, misuse and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration and destruction. While we make every effort to help ensure the integrity and security of our network and systems, we cannot guarantee our security measures.
YOUR INFORMATION CHOICES AND OPT-OUTS
Cookies and Tracking Options
Certain parts of our Sites require cookies. You may adjust your device or Internet browser settings to limit certain tracking or to decline cookies, but by doing so, you may not be able to use certain features of the Service or take full advantage of all of our offerings. Please refer to your device’s settings or your Internet browser’s “Help” section for more information on how to delete and/or disable your device or browser from receiving cookies or controlling your tracking preferences.
While we and others give you choices described in this Policy, there are many ways Web browser signals and other similar mechanisms can indicate your choice to disable tracking.
Interest-Based Advertising Choices
To understand your choices for receiving more relevant advertising provided on the Sites or across other websites and online services, please review the information below:
- To learn more about such interest-based advertising, and to opt out of such collection and use for interest-based advertising by the Digital Advertising Alliance of Canada (DAAC) participating companies, please visit https://youradchoices.ca/.
- To opt-out of the use of your mobile device ID for targeted advertising, please see https://youradchoices.ca/appchoices/.
- On your mobile device, you may also adjust your privacy and advertising settings to control whether you want to receive more relevant advertising.
Adobe Marketing Cloud: We participate in the Adobe Marketing Cloud Device Cooperative to better understand how you use certain websites and apps of ours across the various devices you use, and to deliver tailored advertisements to you across those devices. To learn more information about this cross-device tracking or to unlink your device, visit: https://cross-device-privacy.adobe.com.
Unsubscribing from our Marketing Communications
You may opt out of receiving promotional emails from Columbia by clicking on the unsubscribe link at the bottom of those emails, or clicking the following link Unsubscribe and entering the email address you wish to unsubscribe. If you choose to opt out of promotional emails, we may still send you non-promotional emails, such as emails about your accounts or our ongoing business relations.
You may also send requests about your contact preferences by contacting us at CustomerServiceCanada@columbia.com or:
- Columbia Sportswear Company
Attn: Customer Service
1425 Max Brose Drive
London, ON N6N 0A2
How You Can Access and Review Your Information
Columbia will permit you the reasonable right of access and review of your personal information. You may make such a request by contacting us using the details provided above. We will endeavour to provide you with the information in question within a reasonable time and no later than 30 days following receipt of your request. If we require additional time, or if we feel that we have grounds to refuse your request, we will notify you of new timing for our reply and/or the reasons for our extension or refusal.
You may withdraw your consent to Columbia’s collection, use and disclosure of your personal information at any time, subject to legal or contractual restrictions and reasonable notice by contacting us at email@example.com. If you choose to withdraw your consent, we will inform you of the implications of doing so. Typically, this may include limitations such as no longer receiving email marketing, no longer receiving personalized advertising, and not being able to save account information.
Opting Out of Location Collection
You may opt out of allowing Columbia to collect your geographic location by changing your location preferences on your mobile device or by following the standard uninstall process and deleting Columbia's mobile application(s) from your device.
This website is operated by Columbia Sportswear Company, a company which is headquartered in the United States of America. To provide you with this website and the goods and services you order, your data may be stored and processed by Columbia Sportswear Company, its group companies, and its service providers, who may be located in countries (including the USA) other than your country of residence. As such, law enforcement authorities and courts in those foreign jurisdictions may, in certain circumstances, be entitled to access your personal information. These countries may have data protection laws that are different than the laws in your country of residence, but Columbia Sportswear Company will protect your personal information in accordance with applicable data protection law and this Policy at all times. By using any of our Sites, you consent to any such transfer outside of Canada.
THIRD-PARTY CONTENT, LINKS, AND PLUG-INS
The Sites may have links to third-party websites, which may have privacy policies that differ from our own. We are not responsible for the practices of such sites.
Protecting children’s privacy is important to us. We do not direct the Sites to, nor do we knowingly collect any personal information from, children under the age of thirteen. If Columbia learns that a child under the age of thirteen has provided personally identifiable information to the Sites, we will use reasonable efforts to remove such information from our files. If you are under the age of thirteen, please do not use our Sites, and if you are over the age of thirteen but under the age of majority in the province in which you reside, you should use our Sites under the supervision and with the permission of a parent or legal guardian. If you are a parent or guardian and believe we may have collected information about a child, please contact us as described in the "Questions/Contact Us" section below.
CHANGES TO THIS POLICY
Columbia may change this Policy from time to time. If we make any changes to this Policy, we will change the "Last Updated" date above. Your continued access to and/or use of the Sites, or provision of information to us after any such changes constitutes your acceptance of and agreement to the Policy, as revised. Please periodically review this Policy so that you know what information we collect, how we use it and with whom we may share it.
If you have any questions about this Policy or our privacy practices, you may email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.